overstockArt.com today unveils the overstockArt.com Oil Paintings application (app) for the Apple iPad. Users of the app can decorate their walls with its interactive “View in a Room” feature customized for iPad, create personal art galleries and turn their favorite photos in to masterpieces. The overstockArt.com Oil Paintings app is available free to download from the iTunes App Store.
The app is an extension of the gallery’s iPhone app, “We designed our iPad app to take full advantage of the iPad’s rich display features, so the user can get the most enriching experience on their device,” said David Sasson, CEO of overstockArt.com. “With iPad traffic accounting for 88 percent of our mobile traffic and 68 percent of all mobile revenue coming to the site, we were driven to ramp up our mobile strategy and create an app that makes it easier for this audience to browse, decorate and shop for our art.”
The full features of the overstockArt.com Oil Paintings iPad app allow users to:
· Decorate on-the-go with the “View in a Room” feature. Using the built-in camera, users can take a snapshot of their space and visualize oil paintings hanging on their own wall. This tool is an adaptation of the retailer’s augmented reality web application, “In Room View.”
· Create a personal gallery with the new “My Gallery” feature. Select fine art from overstockArt.com’s collection or import images to create a personal gallery.
· Turn photos into hand painted art masterpieces with the retailer’s “Turn Photos into Art” service, now available to use directly on the application.
· Browse overstockArt.com’s robust collection of art and search by artist, subject, style or size.
· Share images and personal galleries via e-mail, Facebook or save images to your photo gallery.
“We have seen a significant jump in mobile sales for 2012 so far,” Sasson stated. In fact, overstockArt.com reports that in the first 3 months of the year iPad traffic to overstockArt.com has increased by 114 percent, revenue has increased by 370 percent and transactions have increased 409 percent versus the corresponding months in 2011.
“We credit our mobile technologies in part for pushing m-commerce to account for 10 percent of our total sales in 2011,” said Sasson. “I believe that by continuing to create ways to make shopping for our art a unique, personalized and easy process we will see m-commerce accounting for a higher percentage of our sales in 2012.”
The overstockArt.com Oil Paintings iPad app is the latest mobile offering from overstockArt.com. The mobile app for iPhone was released in June 2011 and the mobile app for Android was released in November 2011. An updated version of the iPhone app was released at the start of this month, it features more paintings and interiors and better navigation between the galleries.